At St Ann’s Heath we believe DT should provide children with a real life context for learning. We want to allow the children to be innovative, creative and learn to overcome difficulties through creating opportunities for them in the wider world- all in a safe learning environment. Through the DT curriculum, children should be inspired by engineers, designers, chefs and architects to enable them to create a range of structures, mechanisms, textiles, electrical systems and food products with a real life purpose.
As well as developing team skills, making and evaluating, children will be encouraged to think critically when designing for a specific audience, function and purpose. They will be exposed to a variety of different materials, skills and techniques and build their knowledge on how to apply these to suit their design. They will show both independence and collaboration.
DT is planned to supplement the Creative Curriculum and links are made to each year group learning journey wherever possible. It is often taught in blocks where children research, design, plan, make and evaluate all within a day or a few days to allow greater focus. Each DT unit of work is based around a clear purpose and function, incorporating strong links with science, computing, art and music. When reflecting on their project or prototype, children are required to investigative and be analytical, evaluating their own products against their own design criteria and considering the views of others to improve their work.
As they work their way up the school, children learn a range of technical knowledge including:
• Applying their understanding of how to strengthen, stiffen and reinforce more complex structures.
• Understanding and using mechanical systems in their products.
• Understanding and using electrical systems in their products.
• Applying their understanding of computing to program, monitoring and controlling their products
• Understanding some of the ways that food can be processed and the effect of different cooking practices (including baking and grilling).